Security researchers have presented a variation of the Rowhammer attack that circumvents all previously proposed countermeasures. The term Rowhammer is used to explain a security exploit use using the fact that hardware vendors, in search of larger memories and smaller components, plan many memory cells together on the same boards. The investigators found that an attacker could collide RAM memory cells with constant read and write operations, causing memory cells to modify their electrical charge, thus changing the stored data bits from 1 to 0, and conversely, the information stored on the memory device changed. Malware attackers may use this kind of attacks to spread malicious codes that modifies normal OS behavior to surge the attackers privileges cause root denial-of- services states to crucial services or root devices like a security software.
Rowhammer Attacks Can Cause Severe Damages
The attacks of Rowhammer came into light in 2014 and the latest research on the topic is published on it recently. The system security experts found that
- Rowhammer attacks on DDR3 and DDR4 memory cards.
- This infection may take over your Windows system by attacking edge with a Rowhammer attack.
- It can use Rowhammer to make full control over Linux based virtual machines that is installed on the cloud hosting servers.
- It uses a Rowhammer attack to root Android devices.
- Rowhammer closely monitor your CPU performance counters for immediate access to DRAM cells.
- This can measure a static analysis of binary codes for common Rowhammer code.
- It records your memory access patters for unusual high frequency accesses of memory cells in the same DRAM bank.
- It prevents you from exhaustion of memory pages.
- Users and Kernel memory cells are isolated through hen memory allocator that prevents you from Rowhammer attack code from compromising Kernel memory pages.
Researchers use Rowhammer to bypass Intel SGX
In a recent research security researchers told that they abused Intel SGX (Software Guard Extension – a security feature of Intel processors) to hide the attack completely from OS and the user that makes the inspection of the attack unreasonable. The latest updated attacks of are able to carry out denial-of -service attacks on cloud environment but it is also a privilege for the personal computer users.