Technical Details on Ransom.Petya!g1
- Name: Ransom.Petya!g1
- Type: File-encoder Trojan
- Discovered on: 28th June 2017
- Updated on: 28th June 2017, 9:50:42 AM
- Risk Impact: Severe
- Infection Length: Varies
- Affected Systems: Windows OS
Get Complete Knowledge on Ransom.Petya!g1
Ransom.Petya!g1 is a dangerous file-encrypting Trojan virus used by the cyber extortionists in order to take over the victim's system, enciphering their important files and then demands the payment of ransom money to recover the encoded files. It is one of the vicious attack that have been reported back in year 2016 so far. The malware presents a real threat to the infected system's security, making the enciphered files unusable until the victimized users pay the asked ransom fee. However, the victims of this nasty file-encoder Trojan can retrieve their valuable computer files from a backup copy after removing Ransom.Petya!g1 virus completely from the affected hard drive and system.
How Can You Be Attacked by Ransom.Petya!g1?
Based on the research report, this malware may be delivered using malicious email messages containing a file attached on it equipped with harmful payload or embedded a link that will reroute you to the website from where your system can easily get infected with Ransom.Petya!g1. Once the PC users open the attached files, the threat runs in the background, scans the victim's hard drive for specific file extensions to encrypt them after successful invasion. Also, it allows the victim's to access the ransom note displayed onto their system screen. The ransom notification consists information related to file encryption and informs the users that it has used a “military grade” AES encryption algorithm in order to encipher the files, which really sound scarier.
Furthermore, Ransom.Petya!g1 delivers a variety of ransom notifications in the form of dropped HTML files, text and images. The Trojan also displays a pop-up message on victim's PC screen, reroutes the affected users to a web page consists ransom note and modifies the default desktop image of the compromised machine with its ransom note. The displayed ransom note instructs the victims to visit a certain Darknet domain in order to carry out the payment of ransom money via anonymous methods like PaySafeCard or Bitcoin. Besides, the cyber security analysts advise system users to avoid paying the ransom fee asked by the developers of this destructive virus, since it allows the cyber extortionists to finance their evil activities and continue producing such dangerous threats. In such circumstances, you need to remove Ransom.Petya!g1 safely from your device and try to recover the files using backup copies.
A. Ransom.Petya!g1 Manual Removal
How to Change the System Folder Settings to view hidden files
On Windows 7 | Vista
Windows Logo button is to be selected and then you need to Open Windows Explorer.
Click on Organize selecting Folder and Search Options.
Now Click on View Tab and select Show hidden files and folders Option to view Ransom.Petya!g1 related files.
Click on OK to Apply
On Windows 8
Select on Windows + E keys in combination on the keyboard.
Click on View Tab option
File name Extensions along with hidden items is to be checked
Step 2: Delete Ransom.Petya!g1 Related Files in Hidden Folders as given
- %Temp%\[adware name]
- %AppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name].exe
- %CommonAppData%\[adware name]
Step 3 : Remove Ransom.Petya!g1 Related Registry Files on Windows
First, Open Registry Editor
On Windows 7| Vista
Click on Start Button
Select on Run Button
Finally Click on OK button
On Windows 8 Computer
Click on Win [Window Key] + R in Combination on Keyboard
Type regedit.exe in dialog box and press OK.
Confirm OK to open the registry editor.
Look for Ransom.Petya!g1 related files and entries created in Win Registry.
Note: This step is only suitable for users having Technical Skills, if you delete any other entries other than Ransom.Petya!g1, it will permanently damage your PC.
B. Ransom.Petya!g1 Removal from Windows OS
How to Uninstall Ransom.Petya!g1 related program on PC
on Windows 10
1. On Win 10 Screen, Click on Start Menu and Select All apps.
this will show entire list of apps installed on Win 10, Find Ransom.Petya!g1 or any other suspicious program from the list. Right Click on the Selected item to uninstall it.
On Win 7 | Vista
- Select and Click on the Start Button and Click on Control Panel using Start Menu.
2. You need to Select Uninstall Program under the Program Category in Control Panel.
3. Using the Window, Program and Features option, select Installed on to view all the recently installed programs, Now uninstall Ransom.Petya!g1 or any other suspicious programs.
From window 8 PC
1. Press Windows key + I simultaneously , then open Setting Bar, click Control Panel to open it
2. Under Programs category, select Uninstall a program
3. Search Ransom.Petya!g1 program in Program and Features window, then click on Uninstall
Step 2:- Uninstall Ransom.Petya!g1 toolbar, add-on, plug-in and extension from browser IE/Microsoft Edge/Firefox/Google Chrome
From Chrome Browser
1. On Chrome browser, select menu
2. Select Advanced Settings option
3. Click on Extension
4. To remove Ransom.Petya!g1 extension, click on Trash icon
5. Select the Remove option in dialog box
From Microsoft Edge Browser
( Microsoft Edge does not support extension, now you have to just reset the search engine and homepage of Edge browser)
1. Set homepage on Edge browser to remove Ransom.Petya!g1
On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
3. View Advanced Settings for specific page, to set homepage to Open with option
4. To set your own homepage click on Custom, the then type URL of your own homepage
2. To remove Ransom.Petya!g1 set default Search Engine
- On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
- select the View advanced settings option
- Select “Search in the address bar with”, then enter the search engine by clicking on <Add new> option, then click on Add as default
- Custom option is to be selected, enter the URL of the homepage to be set as
From IE Browser
1. To open Manage add-ons on your IE browser, click on Tools button
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions, them make a selection of Ransom.Petya!g1 to remove it
3. Now click on Reset button to remove Ransom.Petya!g1 add-ons
From Firefox browser
1. To open Add-on Manager tab, select Menu button, and then click on Add-ons
2. Click Extensions
3. Select Remove or Disable button
How to Remove Ransom.Petya!g1 Automatically
Well, in the fast growing technology and day by day increasing malicious activities of cyber criminals, it is necessary for every computer user to protect their PC from Ransom.Petya!g1. You must own a best removal tool which can provide safety and security to your windows machine. Ransom.Petya!g1 Free Scanner is one of the best tool which is capable to detect Ransom.Petya!g1 or any malware completely from compromised machine. However you need to purchase its licensed version to delete Ransom.Petya!g1 completely.
User Guide : Automatic Ransom.Petya!g1 Free Scanner
Step 1 Download the software and now install it on your computer. Click on “Scan Computer” to detect presence of Ransom.Petya!g1 and its harmful traces.
Step 2 Scan in progress can be viewed
Step 3 Use System Guard feature to block entry of Ransom.Petya!g1 and its infectious files.
Step 4 HelpDesk is an additional feature which is can sort out all your troubles usually you face when PC is infected with Ransom.Petya!g1
Step 5 Ransom.Petya!g1 Free Scanner has Network Sentry feature which helps to block modification done through Internet connectivity on your computer system.
Step 6 Enable Scan Scheduler feature on your computer to perform scanning at pre set time like daily, weekly or monthly.