Research Report on .odin file virus
The file extension ‘.odin’ typically appears when the system files get encrypted with .odin file virus, which is also known as a Odin Ransomware. It is a destructive infection which modified the data in a specific way, so that victimized users can not get access the stored files and data anymore. The developers of this malware aims to swindle money from the victims, so it asks ransom money from the users to provide them with a decryption software that is capable of fixing all issues related to .odin file virus. Although, if you are looking for the decryption tool of Odin Ransomware, then our RPVT expert team want to tell you straight away that such key has not been discovered yet.
The ransomware-type infections are extremely noxious because as soon as they drop their payload, there is no way back. Unless, you have a data backup. In such circumstances, you can retrieve your computer files for free just after eliminating .odin file virus. In case, if you do not have a back up copy, then we have some data recovery suggestions for infected PC users. However, the security analysts want to warn you that there is no guarantee that they will help you to restore your computer files. So, let’s start from the beginning and find out what .odin file virus is, how the virus operates, what it wants from you and how it has attacked your machine.
What is .odin file virus and what it really wants from you?
Furthermore, .odin file virus is a dangerous type of ransomware virus which arrives in the form of DLL installer, which then decrypted and executed through Windows application known as Rundll32.exe. The command line of this application is set to run a command which opens the harmful DLL which is located in the %Temp% folder. Once opened, the .odin file virus starts encrypting the users’ files and data stored in different system folders. The malware identifies targeted files by their extension and according to the research of RPVT security analysts, it can encrypt over 390 different types of files.
The .odin file virus encrypts the stored data and files on unmapped network shares as well, and uses a combination of AES and RSA encryption algorithm, which means that there is no any way to restore your system files without having an unique decryption key that the creators of .odin file virus know. After encrypting the victims’ files, the malware creates ransom notifications with instructions on how to decrypt the file having ‘.odin’ extension. The ransom note can be entitled as _HOWDO_text.html, _[2 digits]_HOWDO_text.html and _HOWDO_.bmp. In this ransom note, the hackers demands 0.7 BTC which is equal to 545 USD at the time of writing this article.
Furthermore, you should never try to pay the ransom money because it encourages the evil businesses of cyber offenders. However, the hackers never provide a decryption tool even after you pay the ransom money. After the attack of this ransomware infection, you should use a reputable anti-malware shield in order to remove .odin file virus and then try to restore encrypted file by using data recovery solution which helps you to restore some of your PC data and files.
A. .odin file virus Manual Removal
How to Change the System Folder Settings to view hidden files
On Windows 7 | Vista
Windows Logo button is to be selected and then you need to Open Windows Explorer.
Click on Organize selecting Folder and Search Options.
Now Click on View Tab and select Show hidden files and folders Option to view .odin file virus related files.
Click on OK to Apply
On Windows 8
Select on Windows + E keys in combination on the keyboard.
Click on View Tab option
File name Extensions along with hidden items is to be checked
Step 2: Delete .odin file virus Related Files in Hidden Folders as given
- %Temp%\[adware name]
- %AppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name].exe
- %CommonAppData%\[adware name]
Step 3 : Remove .odin file virus Related Registry Files on Windows
First, Open Registry Editor
On Windows 7| Vista
Click on Start Button
Select on Run Button
Finally Click on OK button
On Windows 8 Computer
Click on Win [Window Key] + R in Combination on Keyboard
Type regedit.exe in dialog box and press OK.
Confirm OK to open the registry editor.
Look for .odin file virus related files and entries created in Win Registry.
Note: This step is only suitable for users having Technical Skills, if you delete any other entries other than .odin file virus, it will permanently damage your PC.
B. .odin file virus Removal from Windows OS
How to Uninstall .odin file virus related program on PC
on Windows 10
1. On Win 10 Screen, Click on Start Menu and Select All apps.
this will show entire list of apps installed on Win 10, Find .odin file virus or any other suspicious program from the list. Right Click on the Selected item to uninstall it.
On Win 7 | Vista
- Select and Click on the Start Button and Click on Control Panel using Start Menu.
2. You need to Select Uninstall Program under the Program Category in Control Panel.
3. Using the Window, Program and Features option, select Installed on to view all the recently installed programs, Now uninstall .odin file virus or any other suspicious programs.
From window 8 PC
1. Press Windows key + I simultaneously , then open Setting Bar, click Control Panel to open it
2. Under Programs category, select Uninstall a program
3. Search .odin file virus program in Program and Features window, then click on Uninstall
Step 2:- Uninstall .odin file virus toolbar, add-on, plug-in and extension from browser IE/Microsoft Edge/Firefox/Google Chrome
From Chrome Browser
1. On Chrome browser, select menu
2. Select Advanced Settings option
3. Click on Extension
4. To remove .odin file virus extension, click on Trash icon
5. Select the Remove option in dialog box
From Microsoft Edge Browser
( Microsoft Edge does not support extension, now you have to just reset the search engine and homepage of Edge browser)
1. Set homepage on Edge browser to remove .odin file virus
On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
3. View Advanced Settings for specific page, to set homepage to Open with option
4. To set your own homepage click on Custom, the then type URL of your own homepage
2. To remove .odin file virus set default Search Engine
- On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
- select the View advanced settings option
- Select “Search in the address bar with”, then enter the search engine by clicking on <Add new> option, then click on Add as default
- Custom option is to be selected, enter the URL of the homepage to be set as
From IE Browser
1. To open Manage add-ons on your IE browser, click on Tools button
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions, them make a selection of .odin file virus to remove it
3. Now click on Reset button to remove .odin file virus add-ons
From Firefox browser
1. To open Add-on Manager tab, select Menu button, and then click on Add-ons
2. Click Extensions
3. Select Remove or Disable button
How to Remove .odin file virus Automatically
Well, in the fast growing technology and day by day increasing malicious activities of cyber criminals, it is necessary for every computer user to protect their PC from .odin file virus. You must own a best removal tool which can provide safety and security to your windows machine. .odin file virus Free Scanner is one of the best tool which is capable to detect .odin file virus or any malware completely from compromised machine. However you need to purchase its licensed version to delete .odin file virus completely.
User Guide : Automatic .odin file virus Free Scanner
Step 1 Download the software and now install it on your computer. Click on “Scan Computer” to detect presence of .odin file virus and its harmful traces.
Step 2 Scan in progress can be viewed
Step 3 Use System Guard feature to block entry of .odin file virus and its infectious files.
Step 4 HelpDesk is an additional feature which is can sort out all your troubles usually you face when PC is infected with .odin file virus
Step 5 .odin file virus Free Scanner has Network Sentry feature which helps to block modification done through Internet connectivity on your computer system.
Step 6 Enable Scan Scheduler feature on your computer to perform scanning at pre set time like daily, weekly or monthly.