Research Report on Floki?
Floki is a multi-purposes Trojan horse, also known as Floki Bot Kit, is unleashed to collect sensitive information from point-of-sale devices. It excels when it comes to scraping credit card numbers from the memory of a number of PoS devices that are used in online billings. This threat has left a great impact all over the Internet, hence, security researchers revealed some facts about the trojan after initial inspection. They said that Floki trojan has borrowed some code from a very famous trojan called Zeus but it doesn't mean that Floki doesn't represent innovation. Malicious developers have implemented a new injection methods and several other components whose main purpose is to reduce omit the detection possibilities of the trojan by Antivirus Software.
When Floki trojan is activated, it loads its payload file with zombie processes that copy the names of legitimate Windows system services like ‘explorer.exe’ or ‘svchost.exe' in order to avoid detection. Afterwards, the 'dummy' process proceeds to scrape the memory for credit card numbers, and other potentially relevant data that could be useful for stealing your whole life's savings. When a match is found in the search process, Floki Trojan horse stores the information on the local hard drive and send all collected data to a C & C server via a single HTTP request without any consent.
Distribution of the Floki trojan includes following resources:
Spam emails – containing exploit kit that can install Floki bot once it is activated.
P2P File sharing platform – is always responsible for a variety of viruses globally.
Open Wi-Fi Networks – can be found on public places which may allow you to connect without a password, if you do so, hackers might get remote control over your system and they may install Floki and other similar viruses.
Suspicious links/redirection – may install Floki via drive by downloads without your permission if you click on them.
Therefore, it is necessary to avoid participating in suspicious activities. As of now, you must follow the Floki trojan removal guide given below:
How to Remove Floki Completely
Floki is one of the most dangerous and notorious trojan threat which is quite very troublemaker and contribute lots of problems for the innocent PC users. This threat is now disbursed all across and has targeted many of the windows computer to put its harmful effects. Although, Floki might not seen to be very dangerous and so mostly people avoid its presence. Nevertheless, it is a very dreadful trojan infection that sneaks into computer very silently and quickly manages to hide its identity without letting anyone know about its presence. Floki execute command prompt to continue its evil tasks and copies file name to prevents itself from being detected. Now, there must be in your mind how such type of malware slips into PC.
Below is the list of negative impact of Floki is given that would let you know how dangerous and infectious Floki is.
Floki often copies genuine file and prevent itself from being detected.
It changes file name stored in the PC with malicious extensions.
You might notice certain changes into the system default settings.
It is a troublemaker threat which creates problems when you reboot your computer.
Its worst impact might leads to unusual shut down of Computer
It is responsible for slower system performance speed.
Floki brings your privacy at high risk and allows web hackers to use you personal details for illegal purpose which might lead you to become identity theft victim.
A. Floki Manual Removal
How to Change the System Folder Settings to view hidden files
On Windows 7 | Vista
Windows Logo button is to be selected and then you need to Open Windows Explorer.
Click on Organize selecting Folder and Search Options.
Now Click on View Tab and select Show hidden files and folders Option to view Floki related files.
Click on OK to Apply
On Windows 8
Select on Windows + E keys in combination on the keyboard.
Click on View Tab option
File name Extensions along with hidden items is to be checked
Step 2: Delete Floki Related Files in Hidden Folders as given
- %Temp%\[adware name]
- %AppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name]
- %LocalAppData%\[adware name].exe
- %CommonAppData%\[adware name]
Step 3 : Remove Floki Related Registry Files on Windows
First, Open Registry Editor
On Windows 7| Vista
Click on Start Button
Select on Run Button
Finally Click on OK button
On Windows 8 Computer
Click on Win [Window Key] + R in Combination on Keyboard
Type regedit.exe in dialog box and press OK.
Confirm OK to open the registry editor.
Look for Floki related files and entries created in Win Registry.
Note: This step is only suitable for users having Technical Skills, if you delete any other entries other than Floki, it will permanently damage your PC.
B. Floki Removal from Windows OS
How to Uninstall Floki related program on PC
on Windows 10
1. On Win 10 Screen, Click on Start Menu and Select All apps.
this will show entire list of apps installed on Win 10, Find Floki or any other suspicious program from the list. Right Click on the Selected item to uninstall it.
On Win 7 | Vista
- Select and Click on the Start Button and Click on Control Panel using Start Menu.
2. You need to Select Uninstall Program under the Program Category in Control Panel.
3. Using the Window, Program and Features option, select Installed on to view all the recently installed programs, Now uninstall Floki or any other suspicious programs.
From window 8 PC
1. Press Windows key + I simultaneously , then open Setting Bar, click Control Panel to open it
2. Under Programs category, select Uninstall a program
3. Search Floki program in Program and Features window, then click on Uninstall
Step 2:- Uninstall Floki toolbar, add-on, plug-in and extension from browser IE/Microsoft Edge/Firefox/Google Chrome
From Chrome Browser
1. On Chrome browser, select menu
2. Select Advanced Settings option
3. Click on Extension
4. To remove Floki extension, click on Trash icon
5. Select the Remove option in dialog box
From Microsoft Edge Browser
( Microsoft Edge does not support extension, now you have to just reset the search engine and homepage of Edge browser)
1. Set homepage on Edge browser to remove Floki
On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
3. View Advanced Settings for specific page, to set homepage to Open with option
4. To set your own homepage click on Custom, the then type URL of your own homepage
2. To remove Floki set default Search Engine
- On address bar click More(..), and then select Settings option
- select the View advanced settings option
- Select “Search in the address bar with”, then enter the search engine by clicking on <Add new> option, then click on Add as default
- Custom option is to be selected, enter the URL of the homepage to be set as
From IE Browser
1. To open Manage add-ons on your IE browser, click on Tools button
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions, them make a selection of Floki to remove it
3. Now click on Reset button to remove Floki add-ons
From Firefox browser
1. To open Add-on Manager tab, select Menu button, and then click on Add-ons
2. Click Extensions
3. Select Remove or Disable button
How to Remove Floki Automatically
Well, in the fast growing technology and day by day increasing malicious activities of cyber criminals, it is necessary for every computer user to protect their PC from Floki. You must own a best removal tool which can provide safety and security to your windows machine. Floki Free Scanner is one of the best tool which is capable to detect Floki or any malware completely from compromised machine. However you need to purchase its licensed version to delete Floki completely.
User Guide : Automatic Floki Free Scanner
Step 1 Download the software and now install it on your computer. Click on “Scan Computer” to detect presence of Floki and its harmful traces.
Step 2 Scan in progress can be viewed
Step 3 Use System Guard feature to block entry of Floki and its infectious files.
Step 4 HelpDesk is an additional feature which is can sort out all your troubles usually you face when PC is infected with Floki
Step 5 Floki Free Scanner has Network Sentry feature which helps to block modification done through Internet connectivity on your computer system.
Step 6 Enable Scan Scheduler feature on your computer to perform scanning at pre set time like daily, weekly or monthly.